The Communications Leadership Council recently caught my eye with a blog post that described the 10 things never to say at work. It was generally straightforward stuff geared toward today's lean and competitive workplace environments.
- "That's not my job."
- "I'm too busy."
- "That is how we've always done it."
- "I don't have anything to do." (Really? Someone would say that?!)
- "I deserve a promotion."
These and the other five "sayings to avoid" are all helpful and make a lot of sense. But that got me thinking-surely there are things that are even more advisable to avoid saying at the workplace. To kick off 2014, here is the start of a list to what I hope to never hear in the office this year or any other year:
- "I just found some tuna salad in the back of the break room refrigerator. Anyone want a taste?"
- "Have you showered recently?"
- "We're having a betting pool as to when you'll be fired. You want in?"
- "Let's level-set and calibrate expectations on the synergies of this transformational breakthrough initiative that is a paradigm shift and leverages out-of-the-box thinking and pushes the envelope."
- "I think your car is being towed."
I have more, but let's see what you've got to offer in building this list. Add your suggested "don't want to hear this in the workplace!" sayings in the comment section below.
And Happy New Year to you!