Features and Benefits
The E6000® Converged Edge Router (CER) is a next generation Converged Cable Access Platform (CCAP™) that provides cable operators unprecedented advances in channel density, power efficiency, and cost savings in a redundant, integrated architecture designed from the ground up for high availability. This powerful design enables operators to converge all services (video, high speed data, and voice) on a single physical connector, enabling additional savings in capital and operational expenditures along with increased operational efficiency. The DCAM-2 is an integral component of the second generation (known as “Gen 2”) set of line cards for the E6000 CER; the Gen 2 modules have been created to deliver additional service group density and greater throughput per service group. Both of these capabilities provide significant benefits for operators by enabling advanced service offerings while requiring less space and power in the head end. Operators deploying the DCAM-2 can realize up to a 71% increase in total service groups per E6000 chassis; in addition, the DCAM-2 supports mass deployment of DOCSIS® 3.1 while maintaining all existing DOCSIS 3.0 channels and services. Use of the DCAM-2 requires the RSM-2 and can be implemented via field migration with simple changes to the E6000 chassis. The DCAM-2 can be used to provide the downstream MAC processing to enable Remote PHY (R-PHY operation) on the E6000 CER with a future software upgrade.
DCAM-2 provides a total of 16 physical ports per slot, delivering a 2x improvement in DS-SG as compared to the Gen 1 DCAM. For each of these 16 physical ports, DCAM-2 supports a downstream RF band up to 1.2 GHz. In addition, DCAM-2 is capable of supporting multiple 192 MHz OFDM channels per port. With these capabilities, DCAM-2 enables more service groups per chassis with more throughput in each service group. Operators receive significant benefits in terms of operational simplicity, cost savings, and competitive advantages by deploying DCAM-2. Use of DCAM-2 requires the RSM-2. DCAM-2 is not compatible with the Gen 1 RSM.
- 16 physical ports per module (requires DPIC-2)
- Full spectrum capable (108 MHz to 1218 MHz)
- DCAM-2 hardware capable of up to four (4) output blocks per port (support in software determined by release)
- SC-QAM output block supports up to 32 SC-QAMs (Annex B) or 24 SC-QAMs (Annex A)
- OFDM output block 192 MHz wide
- 48 SC-QAMs (max 32 DOCSIS/EuroDOCSIS) plus 192 MHz OFDM per port in rel. 5.0
- 48 DOCSIS SC-QAM maximum per port in rel. 5.0 (Annex B, without IEQ or OFDM)
- Additional SC-QAM and/or OFDM density per port in later releases (no hardware changes required)
- Downstream MAC processing for remote PHY operation on the E6000 CER acting as a CCAP Core (future software upgrade)