Huntington Independent School District
Small rural school district in Texas builds the fastest network using RUCKUS Networks
As 400 middle-school students logged onto the Edgenuity courseware, the Huntington Independent School District (ISD) network crashed. When Jeff Baird, technical director for Huntington ISD, called his vendor to fix the problem, their response was as slow as the network. To make matters worse, replacing access points (APs) or patching software didn’t improve the situation. And, as the problems continued, the costs kept mounting.
Before selecting his next network partner, Baird set out two criteria: First, he required technology that can take the district network far into the future. And second, he needed a partner offering reliable back-end support that enables them to respond quickly should anything go wrong.
By deploying RUCKUS stackable multigigabit ICX® switches, Baird was immediately able to ramp up his network speed to 2 Gbps. And due to new RUCKUS APs, which are Wi-Fi 6 certified, the network’s high-density performance went through the roof. But what was most satisfying was that RUCKUS Virtual SmartZone™ network controller allowed Baird and his IT staff to manage every AP and switch from a single-pane-of-glass dashboard.
By deploying patent-filled RUCKUS switches and APs, Huntington ISD transitioned from a slow public education network to one of the fastest school networks in the state—maybe even in the nation.
- 1,600 students
- high school
- middle school
- intermediate school
- elementary school
- 5 campuses
- Unreliable Wi-Fi limited the use of online applications
- Switches were limited to 1 GB only
- Maintaining separate networks was time intensive
- Small IT staff
- Poor Vendor support
- Went from 1 Gbps to 2 Gbps with an easy upgrade path
- Supports more online learning and better safety, security and emergency communications
- Simplified, single-pane-of-glass management across APs and switches
- The APs are Wi-Fi 6 certified and IoT equipped, future-proofing the network for years to come