Lyell McEwin Hospital Emergency Department
CommScope delivers well-planned change management to minimize disruption to hospital operations
Lyell McEwin Hospital (LMH) is part of the Northern Adelaide Local Health Network (NALHN), which delivers services to a population of more than 400,000 people living in Adelaide’s north and northeastern suburbs. It is a major tertiary hospital, offering medical, surgical, diagnostic support, and emergency services through the LMH Emergency Department (ED).
Faced with the dual challenges of a growing community population and the need to provide new services around recent medical advancements with existing infrastructure, LMH’s leadership team decided to invest in infrastructure growth and upgrades to its ED—doubling the hospital’s capacity to meet the growing needs of Adelaide’s northern area.
The CommScope SYSTIMAX® VisiPatch® 360 solution was already in use at the site; however, it was critical for CommScope’s local partner, Electro Data & Generation (ED&G), to relocate LMH ED’s major IT infrastructure to the new site with minimal disruption to services. While the existing CommScope infrastructure was functioning well, the relocation was also an excellent opportunity to upgrade, expand, and future-proof the system—ensuring the best possible access to (and incorporation of) advanced medical technologies, which are critical to delivering state-of-the-art healthcare solutions now and into the future.
SYSTIMAX is considered one of the most prestigious structured cabling solutions globally. It is a robust, reliable, and proven solution that comes with a 25-year extended warranty on the product. Additionally, it includes application assurance that guarantees performance for 25 years, ensuring the system can reliably support the heavy workload and urgency of critical moments that happen in EDs.
CommScope SYSTIMAX VisiPatch 360 solutions were deployed to ensure that systems managers can maintain a real-time view of the network’s physical layer, facilitate faster troubleshooting, and improve security. These measures reduce network downtime and make maintenance more cost effective.
- Relocation of the critical fiber-optic infrastructure
- Retain and transition all medical critical services, medical day services, and building management services (BMS)—including heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC); electrical metering and water metering; access control; closed-circuit television (CCTV); master antenna television (MATV); and duress
- The CommScope SYSTIMAX VisiPatch 360 solution
- 1,540 data outlets were relocated or removed
- 1,401 new data outlets installed
- 33 fiber cables were relocated
- 72 fiber connections were repatched
- No downtime in the delivery of critical services
- Team of trained, experienced, professional integrators committed to excellence, backed by a supportive channel
- ED&G will continue to provide professional, reliable installations of the CommScope SYSTIMAX VisiPatch 360 data infrastructure