The Federal Institute of Education, Science and Technology of Goiás (IFG)
High-quality Wi-Fi with Scalability and Reliability Are Key to Staying Ahead of Wireless Demand
As competition for students heats up, higher education institutions are looking for new ways to enhance campus experiences and meet student demand for wireless connectivity. With mobile device use on the rise at an alarming rate, universities are feeling the pressure to design a campus Wi-Fi experience that is user friendly and ubiquitous. Given the skyrocketing data demands across campus, they are responding with investments in more robust and manageable networking infrastructure.
The Federal Institute of Education, Science and Technology of Goiás (IFG), located in the state of Goiás serves more than 11,000 students. IFG was using consumer equipment for their wireless network. As a result, they had a slow and insecure network, were experiencing connection downtime and they needed to standardize the wireless network.
“We didn’t have coverage in all areas of the campus, the consumer equipment didn’t support high density clients and as a consequence we had low quality browsing. It was practically impossible to get access during peak times. In addition, network management was complex, since we didn’t have centralized management,” explained Douglas Rolins de Santana, information technology director of IFG.
- Ensure greater signal coverage
- Improve access quality
- Boost wireless coverage in events
- Improve network management and security
- SmartMesh networking to optimize AP performance
- 1,267 indoor and outdoor APs were deployed to offer campus-wide Wi-Fi connectivity
- Dynamic Pre-Shared Keys (DPSK) ensured secure on-boarding for students and staff members
- ZoneDirector 3000 and SmartZone controller simplified management of APs
- IFG innovated with electronic attendance control
- Wi-Fi network provides high density connections and scalability
- Interactions among students, teachers, management technicians and employees were improved
- Wi-Fi network enabled to carry out class activities online in the classroom