Welcome to the new CommScope.com experience. Need help? Get Help
Town of Vail
Staying Connected on the Slopes
Watch the video
People come from all over the world to ski at Vail – more than 170K per ski season. Vail has become a magnet for not only ski buffs but fishermen, general sports enthusiasts and music aficionados. Vail has become a year round attraction where visitors expect to be connected like they are at home. To meet this expectation, Vail stepped up to become one of the early “Smart Cities” – that is, they deployed Wi-Fi liberally across their city and slopes to maintain that always-on expectation. The network does more than just meet the needs of demanding visitors: the city of Vail utilizes Wi-Fi for monitoring parking lots, and ski, riverside, and park areas and to assist first responders and police.
The legacy Wi-Fi network, from AT&T, was aging, un-reliable, and difficult to support. The turning point was when AT&T decided to get out of this business and the town of Vail found themselves needing a new Wi-Fi provider. Reliability, high-performance, and a design that could grow were critical decision factors in selecting the new vendor.
After evaluating several different vendors, Vail found Ruckus best met the town’s requirements and they deployed a Wi-Fi network that covered some thirteen miles of outdoor terrain that included ski and village areas. To insure reliable connections to the Internet, Vail also installed a fiber backbone for guaranteeing high performance and reliability of the Wi-Fi service.
- A replacement for their existing, under- performing wireless network
- A reliable wireless network to service the expanding guest and city worker needs for wireless network access
- A network that could grow to support exploding demand from increased numbers of visitors
- Deployed 120+ Ruckus 802.11n and 802.11ac indoor and outdoor access points over thirteen square miles
- Installed 2 ZoneDirector controllers
- A town and ski area network that sustains thousands of active daily users which includes guest and city workers
- Satisfied the live high definition (HD) Wi-Fi bandwidth requirements for sporting and entertainment events
- Built a network that is able to easily grow as their city business grows