Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation
Digital Learning Showcased at Iconic New Campus Powered by RUCKUS®
While the quality of degrees offered by higher-education institutions is a key element in attracting a diverse student population, there is also an increasing role for network services in attracting and retaining students to a highquality connected experience that employs the latest in mobile learning techniques, engagement and digital access to campus resources and teaching methodologies, and the widespread use of smart devices preferred by today’s students and faculty. As Universities strive to deliver better student outcomes and achievements in the classroom, campus technology infrastructure must meet or exceed the needs of student bodies while enabling faculty and university administration to deliver the best digital experiences on campus. To that end, APU’s network team faced the challenge to enable servicelevel satisfaction to all stakeholders across the two campuses of the APIIT Education Group – APIIT (Asia Pacific Institute of IT) and APU (Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation), which are located approximately 1.5km apart within the Technology Park Malaysia grounds.
A Challenge for a New Campus
To enable both students and faculty access to the best learning and teaching experience possible, having a reliable and high-performance Wi-Fi network was essential. Ensuring seamless connectivity and the ability to roam across APs within buildings and throughout the APU campus was a key requirement for faculty, staff and students, especially when moving between buildings on campus. A distinctive and iconic feature of the new State-of-the-Art campus is its long central “Spine” stretching from the main entrance all the way to the far end of the Campus, which provides connectivity to the teaching centres, the courtyards, central atrium and living spaces. This also provides shade and protection from the heat and rain as students and staff move from between the various facilities within the campus. Therefore, providing seamless mobility for voice and data services is critical here. Students also need to reliably connect their mobile devices and laptops to the university network to access their Virtual Labs via VDI, as well as all the server-side applications needed for their lessons and tutorials, whether oncampus or off-campus.
- WLAN infrastructure that is scalable, and able to meet the high density needs of students and faculty
- Campus-wide mobility that facilitates new e-learning methods including Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) and Wireless Projection to the classroom projectors
- A high-speed network with up to 1Gbps wireless connection to provide real-time Voice over Internet Protocol (VOIP), and seamless multimedia
- A network that is easy to deploy and maintain, while also enabling secure and simple onboarding for students and faculty
- RUCKUS indoor and outdoor access points (APs)
- RUCKUS SmartZone network controllers
- RUCKUS ICX switches
- Easy and fast access to e-learning tools
- Faster and more secure Wi-Fi connectivity for students and faculty
- Increased user satisfaction, and eliminated complaints from students, faculty, and visitors
- Future-proof network with capacity to spare